Sea World: We arrived early in the morning and after checking into our Hotel room in old town, we headed to Sea World. This is one of the only things we didn’t do while we lived in San Diego. I drove past it every single day on my way to and from work, and even spent 2 hours driving through the parking lot when a water main broke on Ingraham, but we never went. In true Sunny D fashion, it was blazing hot. Cohen would have loved to sleep all day, but most of the attractions did not have stroller access so there was a lot of parking strollers and toting the baby around. Carter LOVED all of the show and animals. He is a huge animal fan, and learned lots of new animals. He came home with a souvenir penguin. We let him choose which animal he wanted and he said penguin. From the 10 different penguin options we let him choose which one he wanted…and it was probably the ugliest one there. He loves it and that is all that matters, but my gosh the thing is hideous.
Co-Workers: We took a break from the blazing heat at Sea World and headed to Birdrock in La Jolla to visit with my old co-workers. From the moment I walked through the doors and realized I couldn’t just walk back into the office bypassing the front desk girl, I was a little sad I had left. I had fun chatting with the attorneys and filling them in on how my first year of law school went…well the ones who I have on speed dial get almost monthly updates J The last time Carter was in the office he was 8 months old, and at 21 months old he had changed quite a bit. Cohen was a big hit too, garnering some laughs at the fact he was named after one of our old cases, and at the fact that the partner in charge of the case didn’t remember it. It was so great to see my co-workers and friends, and I was thisclose to insisting that we move back (especially when my boss gave his new assistant something to do), but I quickly remembered that if I do go back, I want to be an associate and not an assistant.
San Diego Zoo: We spent our second day in San Diego at the Zoo. This is one place that we visited very often while we lived there, even becoming season pass holders. John would drag me there when I was pregnant with Carter, and I really wasn’t a fan of the hills in August being almost 7 months pregnant. This time it was fun. We met up with one of my friends and her son. She and I got to catch up, and the little boys got to see lots of fun animals. Carter was in animal heaven. The new exhibit was open, and that was awesome!
Pool Party: After the zoo, we headed out to La Mesa for a pool party in our honor! One of our neighbors while we lived in Mission Valley threw us a party and our other neighbor friends came. It was so much fun. We all first met due to our dogs: Virginia and Keith had a rat terrier, just like Dolce, named Mojo, Tawny and Josh had Charlie, and Bri had Evie…at the apartments there became what was known as “Doggie Happy Hour” It was never a set thing, but it just seemed that everyone gathered in one spot to take the dogs out for a potty break after work. After meeting through the dogs, we became close with babies. Tawny and Josh had a baby boy almost exactly 2 months prior to us. They have one of the most amazing birth stories ever and it gives me goosebumps every time I think about it. Josh was on a “cruise” with the Navy (also known as deployment) for most of Tawny’s pregnancy. I learned in early August that she was due in September and that Josh was coming home at the end of August. Well, not only did their baby not wait until September, he was also excited his daddy was coming home that he decided to come in to the world on that exact day! Tawny went into labor early that morning, before Josh had arrived home, and the Navy flew a helicopter out to the boat to pick up Josh and fly him to the hospital so he could make it in time for the birth. He totally made it on time, and all of the pictures from that first day are of Josh in his uniform. What a great story with a very happy ending. Okay, back on track. Carter was born 2 months later, so Tawny and I hung out while I was on maternity leave. Through us, Josh and John got to know each other well, and before we knew it we were spending almost every night each others apartments. Virginia and Keith and Bri would join us for Idol nights and it was a riot…babies, dogs and idol! Tawny and I joked that Josh and John were dating. Five months after Carter was born, Virginia and Keith welcomed their own baby boy in to the world. Hanging out with our neighbors was so much fun, and it was so hard to move away from them.
The pool party was so much fun. It was crazy to see what a year does. The boys took to each other like they remembered being friends. And us adults didn’t skip a beat, it was like we never left. We had so much fun and are so thankful to Virginia for coordinating everything and thankful our friends took time out of their week to see us. We miss you guys!!
The boys practicing their "knuckles" and "pound its"
Hugs! Two of the sweetest boys ever!
Disneyland: We drove up to Disneyland for the second half of our SoCal trip. Uncle Doug joined us for 3 days of Disney fun. Carter loved the rides and such, but at 21 months old there were some hiccups: standing in line and waiting our turn was tiring for his little brain, and not being able to do the ride again as soon as it ended was beyond his comprehension. Needless to say there were a fair amount of tears, but all in all I think he enjoyed himself. My favorite part of the trip was the looks from other people. I’m sure some wild things went through their heads. You see, there were two babies, awfully close in age, 2 men pushing identical strollers, and one woman. We got a lot of puzzled looks. And, if someone were to have followed us throughout the park, they would have been even more confused: Some times, John and Doug took Carter on a ride, some times it was John and I, and some times it was Doug and I. Cohen didn’t get to fully experience Disneyland, but he was a huge fan of It’s a Small World…would you believe it if I said his eyes got big??


No comments:
Post a Comment