For the beginning of our California vacation, we were in San Francisco with Nama Lynn (though, we swore Carter called my mom “Debbie”, but it turned out to vary between Nama and Dammie…). In a very rare experience we had my mom for the entire week! She took a week out of her very busy schedule to hang out with us and be tourists. John has been to San Fran tons of times over the last 6.5 years, and the only time we did anything touristy was on his very first visit. He has been wanting to do the tourist thing for quite some time so my mom planned all sorts of activities for us. Here are the highlights of our week:
California Academy of Sciences: We took the boys to see the newly remodeled CAS in Golden Gate Park. My grandparents used to take me there when I was a child and even arranged for behind the scenes visit with the penguins (I even got to feed them!). The penguin experience, and vaguely the alligator, are what I remember most about my visits there and it was neat to be able to take the boys there and have them have a similar experience. Lucky for the boys their Nama lives awfully close to the Academy of Sciences so I see a trip there as a yearly occurrence.
King Tut: We went to see the King Tut Exhibit at the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Nama was having Carter practice saying “King Tut” and stomping his foot whenever they saw a poster for the exhibit in the neighborhood. So, by the time we actually got to the exhibit Carter knew exactly who we were going to see: TING TUT! John walked with Carter, and Nama, Cohen and I walked a little slower behind them…but we were still able to hear the following phrases throughout the entire exhibit: BIG Ting Tut, Little one Ting Tut, Yellow Ting Tut, Orange Ting Tut, Other one Ting Tut, TING TUT. Needless to say, Carter loved the exhibit. John was a little disappointed that King Tut’s sarcophagus was not actually part of the exhibit, but he still really enjoyed it. We all did!
T-Mobile Commercial: Well, actually it was a visit to Fisherman’s Warf that turned into a T-Mobile commercial. As we were waiting for my mom to meet us at Pier 39, John and I took the boys and walked around the pier and stopped at the farmer’s market that was set up. All of a sudden this obnoxious 40 year old woman, dressed in a cheerleading uniform, talking loud and yelling T-Mobile every now and then walked past the boys and I. I literally stopped what I was doing (putting something underneath the stroller) and stood up to get a better look at this lady and I’m sure an infamous “Katie expression” was shot her way. John and I laughed at her and continued on with our killing time. As we went to the street side of the pier to meet my mom, I noticed a little sign that said “ Notice: A T-Mobile Commercial is being filmed. By continuing past this point you consent to the use of your image and likeness for the commercial, blah, blah, blah.” Suddenly the whole obnoxious lady thing made sense…and then the T-Mobile banners we suddenly noticed for the first time J
T-Mobile Commercial Part 2: As the boys slept, the three adults walked around the old boats down by Fisherman’s Warf. All of a sudden these Blue Angel like jets came racing by with red, white, and blue smoke trailing them. John was in heaven as we sat there and watched this air show. After about 10-15 minutes of air show, everyone around us started looking in the air and pointing: There were hundreds of sky divers descending upon the city! We found out later this was all part of the T-Mobile commercial, and the sky divers actually formed “T”s in the air.
We spent lots of quality time with Nama, Auntie Libby, GGma and GGpop-pop. We love going to San Fran, but this was probably our most favorite visit thus far….aside from our Wedding :)
On a side note for Cohen, the Gastro doctor my mom talked to said as long as he wasn’t in acute distress, he should be okay to wait until November to be seen in Spokane. I guess this just means if they do have to operate Cohen will be a good size and his lungs will have more time to get strong. So now we wait, looking for signs of distress and praying our little man doesn’t perforate before November.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment