Saturday, May 2, 2009

April 28-May 2, 2009: San Francisco

For starters our little trip to San Francisco almost didn’t happen. John woke me up at 2am, the morning we were to leave, with concerns about air travel and the new swine flu. I did some research and decided that we would still go, but I would be extra cautious and arm myself with some hand sanitizer and sanitizer spray. My little sanitation plan was thwarted when the TSA agent told me I couldn’t have my 7oz bottle of sanitizer with me…really?...with the swine flu and everything?....irritating. Aside from that it was a (thankfully) uneventful flight to San Francisco.

We did a lot of fun things in San Fran, and I think the highlight of Cohen’s trip was meeting his family members for the first time…especially Auntie Libby! I think Carter will always have a special place in Libs’ heart, but she was very excited to see Cohen. She is so sweet with babies and the boys adore her. Cohen spent some quality time with Grandma, too. She loves to hold the baby and will not hesitate to take the baby away from someone else who is holding him. Though the swine flu had her pretty busy at work, we were very happy when she came home early (think before 9pm as early) to spend time with us.

GGma and GGpa were also very excited to meet Cohen and GGpa actually held Cohen! It was momentous as my grandpa is notorious for not holding babies until they can walk and talk :) Second cousin Kelsey was super excited to meet Cohen as well…though she quickly learned that Cohen is more vocal than Carter was the first time she met him. Great Uncle Tim is such a fun person. He met Cohen when I went in for a dentist appointment…and while we were there he had the brilliant idea to make a plaster mold of Cohen’s little foot. He made up some of the goo that he uses to take impressions of teeth, and placed Cohen’s foot into it. Coe had a fit and let Tim know that he was annoyed with the cold gel…but in the end I was given the most wonderful gift in the world…a perfect 3-D plaster mold of Cohen’s foot. Every wrinkle and line is present and even the toenails are perfect. Now that Tim has mastered the foot, his next goal is a hand mold from both Carter and Cohen. I can’t wait. Kelsey has a mold of her hand when she was a baby (minus a finger, haha) and I am excited to have this keepsake to remind me how little the boys once were. Second cousin Colin was fine holding Cohen...that is until he started making sounds like he was going to puke, then Colin was over it :) Aunt Tami came to the rescue as she was wearing a sweatshirt and didn't mind holding a baby who could spit up at any moment.

The family memebers that were in the Palo Alto area got together for dinner at the grandparents' house to meet Cohen. Great Uncle Mike and Aunt Erin and thier boys, Sean, Connor and Riley were all there to meet Cohen. It is always so much fun to have the family get together...though I am told that I don't need to keep having babies to accomplish this :) Haha, Uncle Tim was very reassuring in his reminding me that if I think it is hard now, just wait until Cohen is mobile....

When the weekend rolled around we went to the mall to help Auntie Libby find a prom dress. Easier said than done…I don’t remember being that indecisive or modest when I was 18 :) After looking at 1,000 dresses, we left with one stunning dress that was a bit revealing, but no actual dress she will wear to the prom. Our mother was actually annoyed at Libby’s lack of shopping stamina! Too funny.

We had such a great time and wish we lived closer so we could visit more often. Luckily Libby graduates from high school at the end of May so we will be back (this time with the other two boys), but it will be a quick trip as summer school will be in session!

No comments:

Post a Comment