Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 30, 2009: Auntie Libby's Graduation!

The entire family flew down to San Francisco to see Libby graduate from High School. I, Katie, have personally flown with each baby by himself but this was a first plane ride for the FOUR of us.

We decided to tag-team it and each person was in charge of a baby; John got Carter and I had Cohen. The trip down was interesting as we went from Spokane to Portland, Portland to Reno, Reno to San Jose. I was nervous that all of the up and down would wreck havoc on the boys’ ears, but they both didn’t seem to mind. We were very fortunate these flights were not very full as we were able to put our “lap babies” in their own seat. Does anyone find it funny to think of Carter sitting on a lap for an entire plane ride? (More on that later…) When we got to Reno both boys needed a diaper change….but Cohen needed a bath in the airport bathroom sink and a new outfit. His newest trick is to poop all the way up to his neck, have it soak through and stain his clothes, and even get on his car seat. Apparently he wasn’t going to let a little travelling interfere with his pooping routine. Imagine trying to bathe a baby in an airport sink lined with paper towels (germs..ick) and having the darn faucet be a motion sensor. In the end, Cohen was bathed and re dressed just in time to learn that Daddy had lost $6 at the slots and get on the plane.

The City was cold and windy…a perfect San Francisco summer day! We stood in the back of the huge church to watch the graduation services because a) Carter is mobile and has a hard time staying put (and quiet for that matter) and b) every person who got there 2 hours early decided to save multiple pews for their allotted guests…which was only 4 per student! Oh well, it worked out and we got to see Libby walk across that stage and get her diploma. Interesting tid bit: She actually got her diploma! When I graduated I had to wait for the darn thing in the mail and was given just an empty holder. Libby’s had her name on the outside folder an everything…that takes skill to ensure each student gets the correct folder, I mean there were close to 350 students in her class!

After graduation the entire family went to Palo Alto to spend some time with the boys’ great grandparents. Carter mastered calling my grandma “Ggma ma” and my grandpa “Gg pop pop” He was super super busy and I think the GG’s got a kick out of him at this stage. Cohen also showed off while we were there…by, get this…SMILING! That’s right, our little 3 month delayed baby is now smiling at just shy of 4 months old! I was so prepared to go months not seeing him smile (our 35 weeker started smiling at almost 5 months) that I almost didn’t know what he was doing. It was a huge open mouth grin and I know it wasn’t gas because he did it throughout the day. I guess he is almost 5 weeks adjusted age so smiling is very appropriate, but I honestly thought it would take much longer to hit that milestone.

The flight back was more interesting as there were no extra seats for our lap babies…and John had to fly from San Jose to Seattle with Carter sitting on his lap. Luckily Carter fell asleep for the entire flight!

Our trip was quick due to summer school constraints, but we had a wonderful time and can’t wait to visit again in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment