Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 26, 2010: Seaside, OR

We’re in Seaside, Oregon!

Carter woke up this morning feeling much better, however, last night was not so encouraging. I took his temperature at 11pm and it was 103.5. As some of you know, Carter has febrile seizures and when his body temperature spikes he can seize. Though it doesn’t mean he suffers from a seizure disorder or any other neurological impairment, the seizure itself can be dangerous if it happens while he is eating or drinking or otherwise not being watched. Because of this, John and I watch his temperatures very closely. Also, because of this, Carter’s temperatures can get out of hand quickly. Throughout the night he was fluctuating between 103.5 and 105. Anybody reading this will think, “Uh, 105, shouldn’t he be at the hospital?!” And each time it happens, John and I have the same thought. I called Providence in Seaside to see what they recommended. Carter’s doctor says that anything above 105 with additional symptoms, such as vomiting, coughing, and or difficulty breathing, warrants a trip to the ER. If we were in Moscow I would have just taken him in, but because we were in a different city and state, I called to get the triage nurse’s advice first. She was actually very helpful, and once I said he suffers from febrile seizures, she wasn’t so concerned with numbers of his temperature. Children who suffer from febrile seizures often have crazy temperatures that mean nothing more than what a 102-103 temperature would mean in a normal child. Instead of taking him in, I sent John out for some children’s Tylenol and ibuprofen. We rotated on and off with those two drugs throughout the night, and by 6 am, Carter’s temp was down to 101 and we successfully warded off any seizure activity. Success! And better yet, when he woke up at 9am, he was back to his spunky self. However, to be on the safe side, we decided to spend an extra night in Seaside.

The extra night afforded us an extra day to walk around and explore. We loved the downtown area right next to our beachfront hotel. It was so fun. John and I got to relive some of our pre baby days, when we would drive to small towns and check out their downtowns and “junk shops.” We found so many things that would be perfect for the boys’ rooms, but unfortunately we had very limited space in our car. Or, at least, that was the excuse John gave me as to why I couldn’t go to the outlet mall!

On the kid front, there was an indoor merry-go-round that Carter loved, but it went way too fast for mommy to ride on it with him a second time. (Like, abnormally fast!) Also, the swings on the beach were a big hit. Carter especially loved the fact we were at the ocean. He was learning all about the ocean at school and was super excited to visit it. Another big hit was the game arcade. It started to rain this evening so we took the boys to the indoor arcade. After $10 in train rides, the boys are exhausted.



We also drove to Cannon Beach to see “Haystack Rock”…or as Carter would say “They put the haystackrock into the ocean so that the horses can eat it.” It wasn’t as fun as I had remembered from my childhood, so we walked around for about 45 minutes and then headed back to Seaside.

All in all, today was a fun day and are more than prepared to continue our road trip tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment