Cohen is not tolerating the increase in feeds, which is a little disappointing. The Doctor and I were hoping the increase would force his system to poop, but instead he is just not digesting the milk. It’s rather disgusting when the nurse sucks the left over milk in his belly into a syringe to measure it and then pushes it back in his NG tube. This is usually done right before the next feed, so that milk had been in his tummy for 3 hours! I know he can’t taste it, but I’ve certainly smelled sour breast milk and I can’t imagine how that feels in his poor tummy. Due to his lack of digestion, his feeds have been scaled back...again. Because of this, his orange color, and his change in alertness, the Doctor has ordered a lab draw to check for infection and liver function. We are praying for a negative result and hoping his problems are just due to an immature GI system.
I really hope Cohen’s system will learn how to process his feeds better in the next couple of days. This has been his only hurdle thus far, and while very minor, it is still keeping him from making great progress.
Cohen’s nurse put a NICU onesie on him so that he wasn’t so naked. (She mentioned something about babies this size needing clothes…like she really needed to convince me of the importance of clothing my child! I tried to explain to her that I have no ability to go shopping, and the gift shop didn’t have his size available…) Anyways, the onesie he is wearing in the pictures is for babies 3-5lbs…notice how huge it is on him! Oh, my tiny little guy….In about 18 years when Cohen is 6-5 I will look back at these pictures and laugh!
John is coming up tomorrow and Cohen and I can’t wait to see him (and the TV!). Cohen really enjoys playing with John’s chest hair and it keeps him entertained during kangaroo time J We love you John, and drive safe!


Hey Katie,
ReplyDeleteWe are all still praying for baby Cohen, you, Jon & Carter, I know this is hard on all of you. In my late night searching I have found this site https://www.preemiesrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_35
They have some cute stuff for your lil guy :) Take Care!
Katie,
ReplyDeleteTed told me on the twins birthday that they share a birthday with your new little one. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I'll follow your blog through mine. If you need anything please just let me know.
Annie
Hey Katie,
ReplyDeleteSorry I couldn't connect with John yesterday. I have for your little guy 3 micropreemie gowns all with matching hats, one little shirt thing, 6 pairs of the smallest socks known to man (3 white, 3 navy), and 4 knit or crocheted hats, two of them with a little crocheted sweater I made. I'll be honest though, the sweater was my first attempt at such and may reflect that.. haha.
I wish I could drive up and get these to you but the docs still won't let me drive for a little while longer. I think Ruth is coming next weekend but I'm not above sending them overnight if there is an address you can get packages at. Let me know, we're all pulling for your little man and I'll keep his test results in my prayers.
- Sarah
p.s. I got all the clothes (except for what Mindy and I made ourselves) at preemieproud.com if you want to check them out. He has a green gown w/ little jungle animals
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-96840555351679_2042_4958958
, a white baseball pinstriped one,
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-96840555351679_2042_5277439
a blue one with puppies
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-96840555351679_2041_1857520
and another little one that he can grow into because it is made for slightly bigger preemies.
Call me at the Brown's if you get a chance 208-313-6292. I'm staying with Jason and his wife Mindy until the docs clear me. I'd rather be home but it is better than the hospital. Take care! -S.