Cohen had a good weekend. He continues to battle his O2 problems, but the increase in oxygen prior to and during feedings has really helped out. The increased dose of reflux meds has also helped and Cohen is now at full feeds! As we enter “feeder/grower” status, the amount of calories that Cohen’s breastmilk is fortified with has increased too… he reached the maximum caloric amount of 24, so he will be packing on the ounces soon!
There were still more A&B’s than we would have liked this weekend, but that just comes with the NICU territory. The results of Cohen’s last bilirubin stick showed an increase of 2.3 to 6.9. Bilirubin is a complex number system that has to do with how old the baby is and whatnot, and I am not even going to try to explain it because I don’t really understand it myself. Regardless, the doctor is somewhat concerned about the new increasing numbers so Cohen will have another draw on Monday. The daylight should help, but I would really love for Cohen to not look so orange.
Cohen now has two primary nurses. One of his nurses that he has had a number of times suggested I ask for it so that I could feel more comfortable if I needed to go to Moscow or not be at the NICU for a day, etc. I agreed, and it happened really fast! This means that during the day, Cohen will have one of two nurses, until he is discharged. The nurses that chose him are wonderful and one of them is in love with my mother :) I have complained to John and my mom how I hated that Cohen had a different nurse every day, and now that is fixed…I think this will work out very well!
John and Carter arrived on Friday afternoon. We made a quick trip to Sandpoint to do our taxes, and then made it back for Cohen’s 9pm cares. I am starting to realize what it is like to have two kids! While I would love to spend time with John while he spends time with Cohen, I can’t because I also need to spend time with Carter! I’ve rationalized it in my mind that my weeks are my time with Cohen, and my weekends are my time with Carter. So with that, I tried to spend as much time with Carter as possible, all the while calling the NICU enough to drive Cohen’s nurse crazy :) John’s weekends are for Cohen and studying, while his weeks are for Carter and class. At some point we will get to spend time together again…and I am hoping it is before Carter and Cohen turn 18!
Carter got his first haircut on Saturday, and that was pretty much a disaster. The end result is a very choppy, and SHORT rounded hair cut. Yuck. It looks rather silly, and I am hoping John will be able to salvage it with the clippers. Had I known how big of a meltdown Carter would have I wouldn’t have suggested it…especially immediately before his 15 month pictures! Even with the bad haircut, Carter was able to give us some good pictures. I never imagined how hard it would be to have a 16 month old (Yes, we were a month late on the 15 month mark…) stand or sit still for pictures! Needless to say, we have pictures with legos and with daddy.
Carter wasn’t feeling very well on Sunday, and nap time was not happening. John needed to study and do a ton of homework, so I went home for the night to help out with Carter. I haven’t been to Moscow in exactly 1 month. It was a very surreal feeling driving into town with one kid with us, and the other 90 miles away. But now with Cohen having primary nurses, I am a little more at ease with leaving him…not much, but a little! John is driving me back to Spokane at noon on Monday.
Also, a BIG thank you to my classmate/friend, Sarah , and Grandma Cindy for outfitting Cohen! He has the most adorable NICU preemie clothes EVER, and all the nurses LOVE how accessible his cords are and how easy it is to keep him dressed with the cannula in. Thank you!! (Pictures soon, I promise!)


No comments:
Post a Comment