Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March 17, 2009: Happy St. Patrick’s Day and 34 weeks!

I apologize for the delay in posting…John came up on Sunday and has been here ever since. Carter joined us yesterday and we have been trying to keep busy in Spokane. The posts may be a little sporadic this week due to both John and Carter being here for spring break, but I will try my hardest to keep this current

Cohen is 34 weeks gestation today! His weighs 4lbs 12oz and he is 18 inches long! His head is still a funny shape and I am anxious for that to resolve (but I am told it could be a few months) His cheeks are filling out due to the extra calories, and he is beginning to get that “NICU look”. Due to the fortification of the feeds and a IV dextrose solution, all the NICU babies start to look alike, and thus being dubbed the “NICU look”. That, too, should resolve in a few months.

Cohen is wearing his “Baby’s 1st St. Patrick’s Day” shirt today. The night nurse put it on him at 12am and then had a photo shoot with him. When I arrived this morning there were little crafty cards all over his side of the room and a stack of pictures for me to take home. It was very sweet of the night nurse and totally adorable. I will say that green is not a great color on Cohen at this point…it makes him look very orange!

We had both fantastic news and disappointing news today. Starting with the good, Cohen’s hematocrit increased significantly and (for now) he will not need a blood transfusion! We are so happy about this and are hoping Cohen’s energy level will begin to increase. He will continue to receive iron and Epogen shots to keep his body producing red blood cells. In disappointing news, the occupational therapist does not think Cohen is quite ready for nippling. We are crushed. We had hoped that nippling would be started this week and, depending on how Cohen did, we could have been home in 2 weeks. Our timeline has been pushed back another week, as the occupational therapist will not re-evaluate Cohen’s readiness until next Monday. Cohen will continue to have 2 attempts at breastfeeding a day, but that is not considered oral feeds. In order to constitute taking oral feeds (and thus being able to go home), Cohen has to take a bottle for all feeds and breastfeeding doesn’t count. Both Nurse Kathy and I are shocked with this news as when he is awake for a feed he is giving major cues for readiness (including successful breastfeeding sessions). However, just because he wasn’t put on the fast track to oral feeds, Cohen’s doctor did allow Kathy to give Cohen a bottle up to 2 times a day if he is showing cues (but that is only if I haven’t breastfed him). I really want his 2 oral attempts a day to be from breastfeeding but I also want him to take a bottle so we can go home….talk about a hard position to be in!

Dermatology also came to speak with me today. I was given a quick run down about how sensitive a premature baby's skin is and how much more hygiene and attention is needed in caring for their skin. I was given a list of products he will need on a daily basis and I thought is was pretty lucky they are all available over the counter (Mustella brand)...that is until the dermatologist said I could pick them up at Babies R Us or Nordstroms (I can only imagine how much that will be!)

No comments:

Post a Comment