One Step Back?! Cohen had a real A&B last night. In order to be considered for discharge (providing everything else is good) he has to go 5 days without an A&B. This was news to us, but since he is not consistently taking oral feeds we really had no expectation of going home this week, so the A&B delay did not disappoint us.
Cohen does a great job breastfeeding and a mediocre job with the bottle. He took a few feeds last night via the bottle, but it wasn’t over 20cc’s. I breastfed him three times today and he was a champ, staying awake and eating for a good 45 minutes. I gave him a bottle at 3pm and it was a disaster. He took the entire feed, 40cc’s, very quickly and I (and his nurse) thought it was awesome and a real step in the right direction. About 5 minutes after finishing, he didn’t know what to do with the reflux from his quickly filled belly and he de-sated…and I’m talking eyes rolled back, head slumped over, blue gills…it was awful. The nurse was holding him when this happened so she quickly got him going, but he just didn’t want to keep his stats up. It took a good 5 minutes to for relief to come…via spitting up on the nurse! After that his stats returned to normal and he went to sleep. After that little incident I am in no hurry to force him to eat from the bottle! His doctor did mention that once Cohen reaches 36 weeks gestation they will remove the NG tube and be more aggressive with oral feeds. Upon that happening, it will all be up to how Cohen does with the oral feeds to determine when he will go home.
Cohen got a bath today and he was completely tube, monitor, and everything free for the first time since his birth. Yes, even his NG tube was out! (This is only because Cohen pulled the tube out himself!) This only lasted for about 20 minutes, but it was so amazing to see his entire face! However, while bathing him I noticed that Cohen has followed in his big brother’s footsteps by popping a hernia in his bellybutton. Hopefully it will just be his belly button and not the other ones “down there” which would require surgery!
Some great news for the day is Cohen’s primaries actual do get to follow him to the 8th floor! His main primary nurse, Kathy, wasn’t assigned to him yesterday and no one knows why. Today he had his other primary, Laurie, and it is such a relief! It’s not so awkward to be sitting with Cohen all day when I know some of the nurses…though it is still a little weird at times!
Cohen does a great job breastfeeding and a mediocre job with the bottle. He took a few feeds last night via the bottle, but it wasn’t over 20cc’s. I breastfed him three times today and he was a champ, staying awake and eating for a good 45 minutes. I gave him a bottle at 3pm and it was a disaster. He took the entire feed, 40cc’s, very quickly and I (and his nurse) thought it was awesome and a real step in the right direction. About 5 minutes after finishing, he didn’t know what to do with the reflux from his quickly filled belly and he de-sated…and I’m talking eyes rolled back, head slumped over, blue gills…it was awful. The nurse was holding him when this happened so she quickly got him going, but he just didn’t want to keep his stats up. It took a good 5 minutes to for relief to come…via spitting up on the nurse! After that his stats returned to normal and he went to sleep. After that little incident I am in no hurry to force him to eat from the bottle! His doctor did mention that once Cohen reaches 36 weeks gestation they will remove the NG tube and be more aggressive with oral feeds. Upon that happening, it will all be up to how Cohen does with the oral feeds to determine when he will go home.
Cohen got a bath today and he was completely tube, monitor, and everything free for the first time since his birth. Yes, even his NG tube was out! (This is only because Cohen pulled the tube out himself!) This only lasted for about 20 minutes, but it was so amazing to see his entire face! However, while bathing him I noticed that Cohen has followed in his big brother’s footsteps by popping a hernia in his bellybutton. Hopefully it will just be his belly button and not the other ones “down there” which would require surgery!
Some great news for the day is Cohen’s primaries actual do get to follow him to the 8th floor! His main primary nurse, Kathy, wasn’t assigned to him yesterday and no one knows why. Today he had his other primary, Laurie, and it is such a relief! It’s not so awkward to be sitting with Cohen all day when I know some of the nurses…though it is still a little weird at times!


No comments:
Post a Comment