Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 10, 2009: 1 MONTH!!
















HAPPY 1 MONTH to my sweet baby boy! I cannot believe Cohen has been with us for a month! I am just now getting over the fact that he is already here (as I was planning for early April), and now he’s already a month old! It is a bittersweet milestone. I feel like I have missed out on so much during his first month because I haven’t been with him 24-7. I am with him as much as I am allowed to be, but I still feel as if that is not enough time. I remember what Carter’s first month was like, and how much we did as a family with him, and I feel like Cohen is somehow missing out on something. I just have to keep telling myself his real first month will be when he is home…and I’m sure as my mother is reading this she is preparing to call me and instruct me not to compare Carter and Cohen :) On a brighter side, this one month mark means Cohen is 4 weeks closer to coming home. He still has some time to go, but really another month seems much easier to stomach after having a month under our belts.

As you could tell from the pictures, I was greeted with a surprise this morning….NO CANNULA! I know he’s tried this once before, but he really did it today. Here is the proof:

(Green is Heart rate, Blue is O2, White is Respiration Rate, Purple is blood pressure) His 02 sats were in the high 90’s all day, and he only started getting tired around 5pm. So 6am-5pm without the cannula is amazing! He got it back for a half hour at 6pm, but he has been rocking the high 90’s ever since!! I spent the whole day looking at his beautiful chubby little face. (His NG tube was replaced and put in the other nostril to allow his cheek to heal from the sticker that has been in place for 2 weeks)

Cohen’s eye test will be tomorrow. It was scheduled for today, but the doctor was out. This is one of the last tests he will have to determine if he has any complications from his pre-term birth. We are still working on breastfeeding, and he is giving all appropriate feeding cues. Due to his anemia and gestational age, he tires before there is any meaningful progress. This will take practice and patience, and I am confident we will be able to do it. His doctor was pretty adamant about giving him a bottle first, but I convinced him that I would be there enough and produce enough milk that breastfeeding would be more appropriate. After going back and forth, we’re settled on breasfeeding during the day with a follow up bottle to make sure he’s getting enough nutrients, and just a bottle during the night. The lactation nurse said that we will be discharged with him breastfeeding , and only needing one bottle a day for extra nutrients for premature babies. Next week we will be giving oral feeds and nippling a serious try. If he does well for a week, he’ll be discharged. This means we could potentially be out of here in 2-3 weeks!
It has been a long month, but Cohen has grown so much and done so well, we are so very blessed. Another few weeks and we’ll be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment