Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 26, 2009

Cohen had another great day! He is taking more and more of his feeds by boob or bottle and his doctor has official written the order to give him a bottle ANY time he is awake, and not just by nurse discretion! After a few days of full oral feeds, Cohen will get that NG tube out. Though, the little man is making it quite known that he is annoyed by the tube…today alone he pulled it out 3 times! His nurse changed his gavage feeds from “over 1 hour” to “over 40 minutes”, to help his stomach tolerate a quicker feed like he would have with the bottle. A lot of his problems taking a bottle is his little tummy fills to quickly and it is not used to such a fast feed. Hopefully with this change he will begin to tolerate the faster feeds.

Cohen had his 2 week follow up on his eye exam. The results were not what I was hoping for, but they weren’t too terrible either. He has Stage 1 ROP, which is the lowest stage (but not the “No ROP” that I wanted). The Ophthalmologist said it would probably resolve on its own (like most stage 1&2 babies do), but if not it could require surgery to fix. He will have another follow up exam in 2 weeks. Funny side note: The Ophthalmologist went to Medical School with my OBGYN! Small world!

A good friend of the family sent Cohen an adorable preemie outfit…complete with booties! All the nurses thought it was the cutest thing ever. I have pictures of him in it, but I left the camera cord at Ronald McDonald! I will upload them when I get the chance. Thank you Karen!! (P.S., If my mom hasn’t told you yet I am very interested in your department at the hospital…so I may need to spend a day or two shadowing you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment