Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 27-29, 2009

Cohen had a rough weekend. We initially thought he would come home this coming weekend, but after this last weekend it doesn’t look like that will be the case. Bummer. Cohen’s feeds are not progressing at all. In fact, he is actually moving backwards. He went from having full oral feeds on Thursday, to taking only 1 oral feed on Sunday (and it was only 15cc’s). I have noticed he is much more gassy than he has been in the past, and I think that is the culprit. After he nipples, he spends so much time (like 2 hours) and energy working the bubbles through his system that by the time it is time to eat again he has no energy and is asleep. The occupational therapist will evaluate him on Monday morning and make a game plan of how to handle this.

Cohen had some visitors this weekend! Auntie Ang and Uncle Levi came to visit and Cohen showed off his manly farts for Ang! He had the nurses turning their heads to look…these were some huge farts! Cohen wasn’t cooperating with feeds so he was being gavaged when they were here so his cousins only got to do a far off window visit instead of a up close window visit.

Speaking of window visits, Carter got to meet his brother for the first time! When John and Carter arrived on Friday, we unhooked Cohen from all the machines and walked him to the window of the nursery so Carter could see him. Carter laughed and pointed and said “ba-by” while he looked at Cohen. I told him to give his brother a kiss and he kissed the glass on the window (rather gross, but still cute). It was very emotional to watch the first meeting between the boys. It was so close to feeling normal…yet very far from it.

Okay, back to visitors. One of my bridesmaids and bestest friends Dani made the drive from Seattle to hang out with our friend Stefanie (and finally meet her son!) and come see Cohen. (We were supposed to have a girls day on Sunday, but my two boys kind of crimped our plans, ha ha!) Dani and Stef stopped by and both got to hold Cohen! Stef was a pro, but she just had a baby in September so she knew what she was doing :) Dani did really well holding the little baby…but I told Cohen that he needed to withhold any bodily functions while Dani was holding him. It was so much fun to have both my friends be there and hold and bond with Cohen. They are such amazing friends and I am so blessed they are a part of my life. I love you girls!

John and Carter spent the night on Sunday so John could get some homework done while I watched Carter. It feels really wrong to be considered a “babysitter” for my own son! I love every minute of Carter and I miss him so much. Have I mentioned that I can’t wait until our lives are back to normal?!

No comments:

Post a Comment